Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Rethinking the classic American children's novels.

one word "headcheese".

Has anyone reread the Laura Ingall books since they were little? I (with fond memories) started Little House in the Big Woods with Elliot today. Chapter 1 is 24 pages of Pa slaughtering the pig, smoking a deer. Ma makes headcheese, and sausage. Laura and Mary play with a pig's bladder ball. Vegetarian Elliot wanted Vegetarian mother to explain headcheese and bladder.

While we will forge ahead and read the Laura books...I will be thinking why why why...

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember the other events, but most definitely remember the pig's bladder ball.

    I wanted one for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always suspected you had a dirty little secret.

    ReplyDelete

Oh Please, say something lovely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...